Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Bounty of the Earth



As I've written before I love the great state of Alabama and for reasons most of you are aware of I'm there quite a bit to see my momma. I've got to admit though that as I much as I love going to our family farm at all times of the year I especially love THIS time of year because of the bounty of fresh veggies I come back with from a family friend's garden. It is not unusual for me to return to Florida with the back of the Caddy loaded down with fresh squash, zuchinni, new potatoes, okra, various peas and beans, peppers, cantaloupe, watermelon and TOMATOES.

Oh my, the tomatoes. These aren't those red orbs that are passed off as tomatoes at the grocery store. Those are gassed to hasten "ripening" and have no flavor and a texture that I'd best not try to describe. These tomatoes are luscious, red, juicy, full of flavor bites of heaven that soaked up the goodness of good Alabama soil and ripened under the hot summer sun. These tomatoes require little but a couple slices of bread with a little mayo, salt and pepper to become the very taste of summer for me. I won't even talk about what happens when you add some cold, crisp leaves of lettuce and some thick-sliced bacon.


Here…have some napkins to wipe up the drool.










No comments: